Monday, October 17, 2005

Thou Shalt Not Utter "Political Correctness"

Some readers have accused me of not being PC enough. They say I rock the boat too much. They claim I use words like weapons, that I have little sense of decorum, that my lips are flapping in the wind. These horribly offended folks represent a diverse spectrum of political and sexual orientations, ethnicities, nationalities, and shoe sizes.

Let's get this straight... There are plenty of things to be legitimately offended about in this world - like lying politicians, corrupt officials, totalitarian oppression, bigotry (in all its forms), social and economic injustice, child rape, terrorism, genocide, the potentially imminent destruction of our planet, Paris Hilton, etc. But words are words. Nothing more. They only have the power that people give them.

I think censors are so busy trying to tape my mouth shut, they don't notice the blindfolds that prevent them from seeing THERE ARE MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES IN THE WORLD THAN WORDS! And I say this as a writer who loves words (and the freedom to use them as I please). While we're at it, folks, GENOCIDE AND TORTURE ARE MORE IMPORTANT THAN JANET JACKSON'S SUPERBOWL NIPPLE. PASS IT ON TO THE U.S. CORPGOV MEDIA MOGULS.

Example of faith in action... I used to protest the KKK and NeoNazi groups across Texas. After a few years, I stopped doing so, because protests inadvertently draw media attention to the hate-groups and their cause, and many of the Klan protesters were only there for primal scream therapy. Most recently, I protested "Reverend" Fred Phelps, of the Westboro Baptist Church, when he came all the way down from Kansas to Denton, TX, to demonstrate at two of the local churches my friends attend. These moralistic morons waved signs that read GOD HATES FAGS and FAG CHURCH, and they instructed their children to grind an American flag into the mud with their feet. I felt sorry for these brainwashed kids, so I approached them and asked, "How are you guys doing today?" An obese and bitter woman in a faded flower dress stepped forward and belched, "Don't talk to it, kids. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl. It has long hair!" I turned and snapped, "Lady, tell it to Jesus!"

Over the years, I've endured plenty of venomous polemic from those hate-mongering "Christian" supremacists. But I wouldn't duct-tape their nasty mouths shut. Why would I want to suffocate their invective? I'd rather watch them hide under their hearts of stone in a desperate attempt to deflect the counter-lashings of a forked tongue.

Please understand, if you're an advocate of state-mandated political correctness, I try to treat everyone exactly the same, with kindness and dignity. I would never say anything to be gratuitous or offend you. I have nothing personal against you. So if you want to shut me up, go jump in the mudpit with Pol Pot, Joey Stalin, and Uncle Adolph. Okay? Got it? Good. And I'll just keep on ruffling more feathers than a fox in a hen house.

1 Comments:

Blogger defjef from the far left said...

fuck censorship


if you are offended... good

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home