Saturday, October 01, 2005

Inspired Artist or Workaholic?

Here's my 160 Proof workweek, on the rocks...

I'm enrolled in 12 hours of (mostly) senior-level classes at University of North Texas, with 24 allocated hours of homework. I also work at the university's Office of Disability Accomodation, where I'm assigned to take class notes for disabled clients, 30 hours per week.

That's a total of 66 hours, and that's before I add in time for promoting JUNK, co-authoring a screenplay for the novel, blogging, contract writing/editing, public speaking, and (most importantly) being a father and husband.

In other words, life sometimes passes by me with the momentous speed of a freight train. I work every day, hoping to be self-sufficient. But the pace is taking it's toll, in back pains and migraines. And my momma complains cause I don't call home enough.

I know why I'm obsessed with work - letting go is difficult for me. My publisher (Olga Gardner Galvin) has an amazing, unrelenting eye for detail, and even she had to wrench my fingers from the text of the novel, telling me, "You have to stop touching it. There is not more time. It's a very good novel. There is no more you can do at this point, except mess it up."

Well, JUNK is finally released. I'm exhausted but elated. And still, I keep working, to get the novel into the hands of the right people (this means you).

For the record, I'm not complaining. But I wish I could relieve stress before the migraine hits. Hmmm...

7 Comments:

Blogger Scented Orchirds said...

wow...u must be really talented in writing...how lucky...

10:45 AM  
Blogger Scented Orchirds said...

wow...thanks for the comment...never knew that i am an obese..

11:18 AM  
Blogger Insaneblackwoman said...

Dear Illegal -
Had fun reading your blog entries. You're a breath of fresh air. I didn't know Uncle Sam had a secret marijuana garden. I know longer feel guilty for doing what I do - hint, hint.

12:53 PM  
Blogger vincentt said...

I think, therfore I am dangerous...

1:29 PM  
Blogger The Baxter said...

kiwnbn time to nve stop nns typing nnnvb with bwb my nqnv feet 11
i enjoy the blog. fucking nice my friend!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Ron van den Boogaard said...

I am exactly like you. You just need to work, despite of everything and anything. It is so rewarding, I wouldn't worry about it.
There is just so little time in a week.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Phil said...

picture stolen from sassen.org

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home