Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Metaphor of the Cross

This metaphor evolved during the writing of JUNK, and is featured in the novel, but I think the idea stands well on it's own...

The vertical beam of the cross represents man's relationship with God (that source of life and divinity, which is called by many names), distorted through institutional religion. The horizontal beam represents man's relationship with other men, disfigured through the government. And where religion and state intersect (as they do on the cross), they have a mutually corruptive effect, and torture and murder are the end results. This is one of the greatest lessons of history, one repeated in diverse eras, cultures, and nations.

One of the visitors to this blog recently claimed he would pray for me to know who God really is. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that his intentions were motivated by love, not the superiority and pre-judgement that have become so pervasive in modern churches. I appreciate his concern, but I already have personal faith. And I am humble enough to acknowledge faith as being a perspective developed through my experience and perception. Faith is not knowledge, but even if it was, I would never seek to use the power of the state to force my beliefs upon my fellow man.

That's why I can have faith even while I mock false religion in a materialistic culture. Six Flags Over Jesus. Praise Jesus and Pass the Pasta. GI Jesus. Fabio poised on the cross, selling low-fat communion wafers called I Can't Believe It's Not Jesus.

A wise man once wrote that the purpose of church was to comfort the afflicted, and afflict the comfortable. Many contemporary churches have this backwards, as they comfort the comfortable and afflict the afflicted. In other words, the Pharisees have taken over the temple again. They turn churches into dens of thieves, whitewashed tombs, beautiful on the outside, rotting on the inside.

Night-night, everybody. I'm off to hug the Buddha in La-La Land. Maybe I'll run into Hunter S. Thompson in my dreams. Fix him a SPAM sandwich. No JUNK food for Hunter.

3 Comments:

Blogger defjef from the far left said...

ive been blog surfing for a while and this is the best blog ive found

9:30 PM  
Blogger M. Simon said...

Drug users self medicate:

More Vindication

The church of course is against sick people getting their drugs from the "wrong" people.

Because dealing is harder to kick than using and big pharma is the biggest dealer of all.

The War On Unpatented Drugs
Scam

6:03 AM  
Blogger Dominique said...

Made me laugh and cry.

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home